Purchasing a new mattress irrespective of the mattress dimensions is a big investment not just in terms of money but also in terms of health as quality sleep is essential for a person’s overall wellbeing. However, it is quite a challenging task when you have to pick out the perfect mattress from the various options available in the market. There are certain specifications that are critical when you are buying the best mattress design regardless of the brand or model. Read below to learn more about it:
The firmness: It is one of the most crucial factors that can greatly impact comfort. Irrespective of the bed sizes, if the mattress is too hard or too soft, you will not get quality sleep and wake up with aches and pains. The perfect firmness that suits you depends on many factors like how your body reacts to the material, body weight, and the sleep type. When you get the mattress with the right firmness, it relieves stress from pressure points. Since comfort is more an individual preference, there can be no one-fit solution and good for one person may not be good for the other. One should look for a mattress that promotes proper spine alignment; helps reduces pressure points.
- Side sleepers prefer a softer mattress while stomach or back sleepers find medium-firm or firm mattress comfortable.
- A softer mattress for side sleepers and stomach helps to support the lower back while protecting the hip and shoulders.
- Back sleepers will need a firmer mattress as it prevents the hip from sinking and also helps in keeping the spine aligned.
- If you weigh less than 150 pounds, then a softer mattress will help as it relieves pressure from the pressure points and also conforms to the body shape.
- People who weigh more than 200 pounds should opt for a firmer mattress so that their body does not sink in and put extra pressure.
- If you sleep with a partner you should opt for a dual firm mattress so as to match the preferences of both.
Support: Support about the mattress means the capability of the king-sized bed or the queen-sized bed to give you an even and flat surface that enables proper spine alignment and also the hips and the pelvis should not sink into it. The material used in the mattress plays a critical role in the duration of supportiveness it provides. At first all mattresses irrespective of the material used offer great support, but it decreases as it ages and does not offer consistent support for the lifespan of the bed. Also, check if the mattress conforms to the body so that the spine alignment is proper and there are no pressure points created. The comfort layer or the topmost layer is the one that offers comfort and latex or memory foam offers the best support and also conforms to the body.
Temperature control: Most people tend to feel hot when they are asleep and hence it is essential to find mattresses that do not add to the body heat.
Durability: The lifespan of an average mattress is about seven years after which it starts to show wear and tear and needs to be replaced says WakeFit. However, the crucial factor in the lifespan of a mattress is the material it is made of, memory foam has a lifespan of 7 years whereas latex and airbed last longer. A hybrid and innerspring mattress have a shorter life. Choose the material that offers durability.
Consider the above features before you purchase a mattress and make the investment in time and money worthwhile.