If you are looking to buy a mattress but dread that trip to the store, there are more options available these days than going to a specialty store. You can buy a mattress online through various retailers and can also compare products as the mattress market is highly competitive. Before you purchase a mattress, there are a few factors that should be taken into account while choosing one. Read below to learn more about those factors:
The major factors to check out in any mattress that you intend to buy is:
It should provide correct alignment to the body so that you get a comfortable sleep and not wake up with body aches. To check if the mattress offers optimal support do the following.
- Neutral alignment: When you sleep on a mattress irrespective of the way you sleep (back, side or stomach sleeper) the body does not remain in a straight line it curves. If the mattress is too hard the hips and the shoulders will be pushed up, and the spine is not straight and can lead to back problems if you sleep in this position for a long time. If you change positions to keep the spine aligned properly, it can lead to disturbed sleep and affects the quality of your sleep. If the mattress is too soft, the body sinks into it, and that affects the spine alignment too. A mattress that adjusts according to the shape of your body and also provides proper spine alignment is the best one to offer support to the hips, shoulders, neck, and back.
- Comfort: The next most important factor while choosing a mattress is comfort. It can also be referred to as pressure relief; a memory foam mattress is known to offer great pressure relief as it adjusts to the contour of the body. If the mattress is too firm or too soft, it causes pressure points and also reduces the blood circulation leading to pins and needles feeling. When that happens, you start to toss and turn in the bed, and that disturbs the sleep. Since you didn’t get a deep sleep even after sleeping for 8 hours, you feel tired and weak. When you are testing a mattress if you can sleep in one position for many minutes without moving then its a good mattress for your body.
- Temperature neutrality: Most people often complain of heat retention in their mattress. Though most foam mattresses have included many features to combat this issue, there are many brands and mattress types which still retain heat and tend to make the sleeper hot in the night. Avoid buying cheap mattresses and invest in the best memory foam mattress which has advanced features to reduce heat.
- Motion isolation: If you share your bed with a partner another thing to consider is motion isolation, many foam mattresses isolate motion and prevents it from being transferred. So if you or your partner moves or gets out of bed, the other person will not be woken up due to that. WakeFit, a leading mattress retailer, recommends that you test it with your partner before buying.
- Check the warranty: Most manufacturers provide warranty in the range of 10 to 25 years on defects like sagging or broken coil. Understand the terms and conditions before purchase.
- Trial: If you are buying in a store, lie on it make yourself comfortable and spend at least 10 minutes sleeping on each of your preferred position. If you are buying online check the trial period they offer and the return policies.
Before you buy a buy mattress online or in a store, keep in mind the factors mentioned above to choose the mattress that offers you quality sleep.