In today’s anxiety-inducing modern environments, it becomes important to take a breather. Start every morning rejuvenated with Supta Baddha Konasana so that you keep calm throughout the day and keep your anxiety in check. This will enable you to end your days on a more relaxed note, ready for a night of deep sleep.
The Supta Baddha Konasana is a restorative posture. It instills a sense of calm and relaxation in you. The asana also helps you open up your hips and thighs, which in turn, makes other postures a walk in the park. The Supta Baddha Konasana is also called the Reclined Cobbler’s Pose or the Reclined Goddess Pose.
The Supta Baddha Konasana should be performed in the morning, before breakfast. However, if mornings are not a suitable time for you, then evenings work too. To perform the asana before sleep, make sure you leave a gap of three to five hours between your meals and the practice.
How to perform the Supta Baddha Konasana
- To begin, lie down on the mat with your chest facing the ceiling.
- Relax your shoulders and keep your spine straight. Make sure there is no strain on the neck. Also, double-check that the shoulders are not lifted off the mat.
- Now gently bend your knees and bring the soles of your feet together. Make certain that your feet remain on the mat. Now slowly and gently bring your heels closer to your pelvic region. Your hands, during the asana, should lie next to your hips. Your palms should face the mat and should be pressed on it.
- Now exhale and contract your abdominal muscles so that your tailbone moves closer to your pubic bone. There should be no pain in the lower back region as you stretch. If there is any pain, then stop immediately.
- Perform the asana very slowly to bring stability in your spine and pelvis tilts. Quick movements can cause sprains. Hold this posture for about 20 seconds.
- Quickly inhale, and then exhale slowly letting your knees open up, thus giving a good stretch in your pelvic region as well as inner thighs. Do not forcefully arch your spine, and always ensure that the shoulders are relaxed and not too close to the neck. Hold this pose for 30 seconds, breathing slow and soft.
- Exhale and slowly come out of the pose. Be slower when coming out of any pose than you did while going into it. Your body is very tender when exiting a pose, and might get hurt if you are too quick. Also, before complete release, hold your knees together and slowly rock from side to side for 10 seconds. This will help your body relax.
What are the benefits of Supta Baddha Konasana?
Here are the benefits of the Reclined Cobbler’s Pose.
- This asana helps in activating the ovaries, the prostate gland, kidneys, and the urinary bladder.
- Practicing the Reclined Cobbler’s Pose improves blood circulation and stimulates the heart.
- While performing this posture, your knees, inner thighs, and your pelvic region get a very good and necessary stretch.
- All tensions, anxieties, as well as mild depression, is eased by this asana.
- Muscle tension is alleviated, and thus feelings of fatigue and insomnia are cured.
- The asana helps calm the mind.
- The stress on the nervous system is reduced by practicing this yoga asana.
- Your body feels energized.
- This posture also soothes your digestive system and your reproductive system, Conditions such as irritable bowel movement, infertility, menstrual disorders, menopause, etc. can be eased through the Reclined Cobbler’s Pose.
- It helps you bid farewell to headaches.
- The asana helps flex your hip flexors and therefore opens them up.
Precautions to be taken while practicing the Supta Baddha Konasana
Before you practice the Supta Baddha Konasana, there are a few precautions that you must keep in mind.
- You must refrain from performing this asana in case of knee injuries, groin injuries, any kind of a pain in the lower back and/or the hip.
- This asana should be practiced by pregnant women only under the supervision of a yoga instructor. Also, while in this position, their chest, as well as their head, must be lifted above the mat using support. Apart from practicing yoga regularly
While performing this particular yoga pose can help you sleep better, the other thing to keep in mind is to maintain a proper sleep schedule. Going to bed at the same time and waking up at the same time is very good for the heart, according to research. Experts suggest that even on weekends one should replicate their sleep schedule as closely as possible.
Investing in a good mattress is another very important step to take when trying to improve your sleep. Wakefit’s Orthopedic Memory Foam Mattress gives you the ultimate support and the luxurious comfort you deserve. To buy the mattress, visit us here.