Regardless of the size and style of your bed, it is important that you invest in a quality mattress. Without a mattress that offers good support to your body weight and feels comfortable, you cannot enjoy a relaxing and rejuvenating night of sleep. However, just buying a good mattress will not make a deal. You will also need to learn the basics of mattress care. Much like your bed linen, your new mattress requires proper maintenance and cleanup.
Below are listed a few easy tips to maintain your mattress and increase its longevity:
- Protection from liquid spillage: The first step towards ensuring the longevity of your mattress is protecting it from spillage of water or any other liquid. Aside from your tiny tot (if you have any) accidentally spilling food or water on your mattress, it can soak liquid in other ways too! You will be surprised to know that you perspire even at night. While the degree of perspiration may vary from one person to another, it is the mattress that soaks up all that sweat. This increases the risk of mold and mildew formation in the long run. It is needless to say that mold and mildew can wreak havoc on your health in more than one way and is also hard to get rid of. To prevent the mattress from getting wet from perspiration and any type of liquid spillage, using a mattress protector is necessary. Thankfully, you can choose from a wide variety of spill- and stain-proof mattress covers that are affordably priced. However, remember that this mattress covers too, should be cleaned from time to time.
- Keeping it free of dust/dirt: Like any other piece of furniture in your bedroom, your mattress to attracts dust and dirt. Left uncleaned, it can become a haven for dust mites, pollen, pet fur, etc. This is why it is essential that you clean your mattress from time to time. While you cannot chuck your mattress in the washing machine, there are other simple ways to clean your mattress. Simply use your vacuum cleaner to suck out the dust and dirt from your mattress. Vacuum clean your mattress at least once a month. Periodical vacuuming and dust cleanup will also keep away pests and insects from making your mattress it’s home.
- Turning and rotating periodically: Whether you own a single or double mattress, you must rotate and turn it once in every 3 months. This will keep the mattress from sagging and is the key to healthy performance and a long lifespan. You may need some help in flipping your mattress, but do not put flipping it for later – unless you want a saggy mattress that gives you aches and pains.
- Avoid sitting on the edges: You must bear in mind that mattresses are meant to offer proper support to your entire body when you sleep on them – they aren’t a recliner or sofa set. A lot of people have a habit of sitting on the edge of their mattresses. This damages the contour of the mattress and renders it useless in no time at all. A well-maintained mattress will give you at least 10 years of loyal service.
- Hiring professional mattress cleaning services: At times, just regular cleanup of mattress may not be adequate. If you have a stain that will not go away with some soap and water, you may have to resort to a professional who offers mattress stain remover Mattress cleaning agencies use specialized products and solutions to remove mattress stains and make your mattress good as new. While working on the stain, you may request them to also give your mattress a good cleanup!
Caring for a mattress and maintaining it is not as tedious as you may think. When you use professional mattress cleaning services, you can enjoy comfortable sleep year after year. Proper maintenance and cleanup of a mattress protect you from contracting numerous health problems as well.