With the New Year knocking at the door, are you looking to get a new mattress for your bed? There is no better time to buy yourself a new bed and a cozy mattress to go with it! When you buy yourself new bedding, you buy better sleep, which in turn makes you feel fresher and energized and ready to take on the many challenges that each new day throws at you. So, how about a New Year, a new mattress, and a new you – all at the same time?
Before you think of investing in a new mattress, here are certain things you need to taken into consideration. These will help you make the perfect purchase and get you the best worth for your money.
- Mattress firmness
The firmness of the mattress is an important factor to consider as it has a direct effect on your sleep. The kind of firmness that you need depends on your weight, height, and sleeping position. Some common kinds of mattress firmness are listed below for your reference:
- Firm – Good for people who love sleeping on their tummy or suffer from back issues. The back remains in a stable and comfortable position on this mattress which provides great relief from aches and pains.
- Medium firm – A great option for people who love to sleep on their back and hence need extra lower back support, which this mattress offers.
- Medium soft – People who have the tendency to change sleeping positions during the night will find these mattresses a great choice. The mattress molds as per their body position and provides optimum support while sleeping.
- Soft – Soft mattresses are perfect for people who love to sleep on their sides and frequently change position while sleeping. Side sleepers don’t put much pressure on their spine, and these mattresses are particularly designed to support the body’s curve while they drift off to dreamland.
- Types of mattresses
There a number of mattresses that you can find. They vary in price and are made from various materials. Listed below are a few mattresses that are an apt choice for a mattress upgrade, this new year.
- Memory foam mattresses – These mattresses are made from top quality memory foam. It is a highly moldable material, which has hypo-allergenic properties and responds to light and temperature. Sleeping on these mattresses will take the pressure off from joints and also helps in maintaining posture while aligning the spine horizontally while sleeping on the side.
- Open spring mattresses – They are also known as continuous coil mattresses. They provide great value for money and are quite light in weight, and hence easy to turn. They, however, do not offer adequate support, and hence usually used in guest rooms. These mattresses may need to be replaced every 3 to 4 years, depending on use and wear and tear.
- Latex mattresses – Latex foam is used as a filling in these mattresses. This material is not only breathable, but highly durable as well. It is a great option for people who are prone to allergies and asthma. These mattresses are quite heavy and hence pretty difficult to turn. Beware though, because cheap latex mattresses tend to develop dents and bumps over a period of time.
- Size of the mattress
You must buy your mattress based on the size of your bed. Take measurements of your bed to ensure you buy the right size. Most manufacturers sell mattresses in standard sizes – Single, Double, Queen, and King. You can choose a thickness that you prefer. The thicker the mattress, the more expensive it is bound to be.
Care for the mattress
Just buying a new mattress doesn’t seal the deal. It is important that you take good care of the mattress, clean it regularly, and maintain it well so that it lasts longer and gives you years of loyal service. To keep the mattress in good condition for long, you may also invest in a mattress protector. It will prolong the life of the mattress and keep it clean at the same time.
So this New Year, are you going for a new mattress for the new you? Tell us in the comments below!