Which mattress is better? Isn’t it one big question on everyone’s mind before buying a mattress? The options available in the market are too many to choose from, and the Sea of brands there is, just add to the confusion of whether to buy a memory foam mattress, latex mattress or spring mattress online or offline.
Before embarking on the major investment you’re planning to make in a mattress, let’s first try and understand the different types of mattresses available currently. This differentiation has been arrived at on the basis of several vital parameters. And we’re sure this will help you make the right decision.
Image source: Pinterest
To start with, always keep these two things in mind before comparing mattress types:
- You should not worry about the budget too much since the mattress is good for about 8-10 years. This is significant because the average person spends one-third of their life sleeping.
- You should not wish for a luxury hotel mattress feel, but rather go for what is comfortable for you to sleep in. For a single night, a hotel mattress would have been comfortable, but in the long term, it’s not feasible to sleep on such mattresses.
Types of mattresses and their pluses
|Parameter||Foam Mattress||Memory Foam Mattress||Bones Spring Mattress||Pocket Spring Spring||Natural latex Mattress||Coir Mattress||Bonded Foam Mattress|
|Cool & Breathable||7||8||8||8||10||7||5|
|Doesn’t disturb partner||9||9||5||8||9||9||7|
|Easy to move||9||9||6||6||9||9||4|
|Extended durability and lifespan||9||9||6||8||8||5||4|
|No flipping & rotating||8||8||7||7||7||6||3|
The above chart reflects the various parameters for the different types of mattresses, that help us rate them. What becomes more important now is to choose between the parameters to invest in the perfect mattress for you to buy a memory foam mattress, natural latex mattress or spring mattress online.
Going with experience, the top 3 things that matter the most are universal comfort, breathability, and durability. The rest can be considered secondary requirements. Combining these 3 factors leads to the selection of memory foam mattresses. As a matter of fact, out of latex mattress, spring mattress and memory foam mattresses, close to 70% of the US mattress market is served by memory foam mattresses. We (Indians) have also shifted from our primary choice of spring mattress or coir mattress to memory foam mattress.
Here are a few examples to support the cause – universal comfort!
- If you happen to visit a reputed hospital, the mattresses on which inwards for in-patients lie are memory foam mattresses.
- If you happen to listen to music on a good brand of earphones (e.g. Bose), the outer ear cover of the earphones is made using memory foam. It takes the shape of the ear and doesn’t push it back, and hence it is very comfortable.
- If you happen to see a pair of shoes or sandals made only for comfort, it will have memory foam in them.
- Memory foam pillows are very commonly used for treating cervical pain in the neck.
If you looking for a bed that helps you sleep like a baby, go for a memory foam mattress. Or, if they bounce back and the hotel-feel is your priority, you can choose to buy pocket spring mattresses online. Please do remember however, that Bonnel spring and pocket spring are two different kinds of mattresses. In general, bonnel is worse than in pocket spring.
P.S.: Many claim that bonded foam is one of the best mattresses because of its firmness and durability, but it is actually the opposite. The kind of feeling that you get while sleeping on bonded foam is similar to sleeping on the ground – very hard!
Featured image source: Pinterest