As the year approaches its end, we all get busy trying to decide what resolution to make for the New Year. Most of the time they are resolutions like regular working out, eating healthy, being more confident, etc. but more often than not, we end up never fulfilling our resolution. Well, in case you still haven’t decided on a resolution for the upcoming New Year, how about better sleep?
Good sleep is an essential for the basic well-being of any person. Almost all of us are guilty of not paying enough attention to the importance of good sleep in our daily lives. Research shows that about seven out of ten working individuals suffer from lack of proper sleep. You must have heard a number of times that a good eight to ten hours of sleep is necessary for the regular adult. However, not enough emphasis is given upon the importance of the quality of sleep that you get. People who get five to six hours of quality sleep can function much better than people who get eight to ten hours of disturbed sleep.
Here, we are going to suggest some ways to improve the quality of your sleep.
- More Exposure to Bright Light during the Day: Everybody has a natural body clock, which in scientific terms is known as your circadian rhythm. This helps your body naturally keep track of time, that is, when it is time to wake up and when it is time to go to sleep. Proper exposure to bright light during the daytime hours will help your body’s natural clock to allow you to sleep properly during the night. It has been proven effective, as about 83% of people have said that proper exposure to bright lights during the day has helped them sleep more soundly during the night.
- Decreased Exposure to Blue Light: Blue light that is emitted from gadgets such as your mobile phones, laptops, TV, etc. disrupt the body’s circadian rhythm, tricking it into thinking that it is still daytime. This restricts the secretion of hormones like melatonin which are essential for deep and sound sleep. So, it is helpful if you reduce exposure to blue light during the evening to allow the body to naturally secrete hormones essential for good sleep and complete relaxation. Warm colors like red help trigger the secretion of melatonin. Therefore, red or orange lights prove to be more helpful in the process of relaxation.
- Eat Healthier Food: A lot of us have the habit of binge eating when we cannot sleep at night, and let’s be honest, none of us binge eat healthy food! It is a proven fact that an adequately full stomach helps us get better sleep. However, we must also be careful to make sure that we do not fill our stomachs with unhealthy junk food, as it may lead to further health issues later in life. Adding to this, healthy food is easier to digest for the body, compared to junk food. So, our body has to put in a lot more effort to digest junk food than healthy food, which leads to disturbed sleep. Therefore, it is very important to have proper healthy food to allow our body to rest well.
- Maintain Consistent Sleeping Hours: Maintaining consistent sleep hours is a very important ingredient for sound sleep. Irregular sleeping hours disrupt your body’s natural sleep cycle which leads to tiredness, irritation, etc. Maintaining a fixed time for sleep not only caters to our body sleep cycle but also helps us wake up fresher and be more active.
- Comfortable Bedroom Setting: Bedroom environment plays a key role in helping you sleep better. There are a number of things that you can do to make your bedroom a healthy sleep environment. Make sure that the lights in your bedroom are not too bright. You can keep soft instrumental music playing in the background to help you sleep. One of the most important and also the most neglected part of bedroom setting is your bed and its furniture. If your mattress and pillows are very old, it calls for a change! We recommend Wakefit’s Memory Foam Mattresses and Pillows to help you sleep well and wake up fit, active and fresh.
In case none of these methods work for you, we would suggest that you go and get checked for any kind of sleeping disorder. We hope these tips and suggestions prove helpful for you so that you can maintain your New Year’s Resolution this time and make an active effort to better your sleep cycle!