If you think your baby will be one that will drift easily to sleep every night, only to wake up in the morning, then we have news for you, mister: That’s not gonna happen!
They say, you don’t really know exhaustion until you’ve become a new parent. Restless night, sleepless night, becomes your carol. But there is a workaround, a few tactics that can help and since it’s from the horse’s mouth, be rest assured (literally!) that they will work.
Here are 5 sleep tips developed by new dads for new dads.
- “Babies wake up two to three times every night, so you cannot expect your regular eight-hours of sleep. To make up for the lost hours, what I do is rely on daytime power naps. Make sure you set 30-minute alarms or you might drift into deep sleep. This has happened with me! Also, going to bed earlier than before and sticking to a routine really helps.”
- “My wife and I divide changing duties, so we both get solid blocks of sleep. Also, we think that this way, our baby does not become completely dependent on just one parent for his sleep ritual.”
- “Though it is hard in the beginning, I feel that one needs to prioritize their baby’s schedule over theirs. To help bring a balance, invest in things that will make your bedroom a sleep haven, enabling deeper sleep. Get the right mattress, buy heavy blinds for your windows, etc.”
- “You cannot use your bed like you used to before. No Netflix and no work. To make sure your baby sleeps quickly, you have to create that environment in the room. Also, if you are into gymming, like me, then you have to eat healthier now to compensate for all the sleeplessness.”
- “Yoga has helped me with all sorts of transitions and changes. It’s helping me be a better dad too.”