Yoga is restorative. It is gentle, and often the best way to put yourself to sleep!
According to plenty of reports like one of the surveys by the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH), people who practice yoga report better wellness as well as health behaviors and recommend it as a healthy lifestyle choice to get better sleep. They say yoga like Tadasana yoga helps with stress, reduces anxiety and all kinds of tensions that modern life is filled with.
There are a lot of yoga poses that promote better sleep like the Balasana yoga pose, Viparita Karani, etc. One of the yoga asanas that experts suggest for sleeplessness is Tadasana. Since the Tadasana Yoga pose gives your spine, hips, and thighs a nice kind of stretch, it helps your body sleep better. By balancing your body in Tadasana pose, you give your mind a sense of stability, which is key to deep sleep.
What is Tadasana Yoga?
Tadasana comes from the Sanskrit words ‘Tada’ meaning mountain and ‘Asana’ meaning posture. Therefore, Tadasana is also called Mountain Pose. Many people even call this yoga posture Samasthiti
According to yogis, the Tadasana pose is the mother of all asanas since it forms the base from which all the other yoga postures emerge. Almost all the standing postures that involve shifts in certain parts of your body come from tadasana or are modifications of this pose. These also involve shifts in an individual joint while the rest of the body stays neutral.
Procedure of Tadasana Yoga Pose : How to do Tadasana Mountain Pose
Here are the Tadasana steps to help you sleep:
- To begin, stand straight. Your feet should be placed next to each other with no gap between them. Your thighs should be tight and your spine erect.
- Now extend your arms in front of you and intertwine the fingers like a web. Turn them around so that your palms don’t face you.
- Extend your intertwined fingers toward the ceiling such that the arms are straight and the elbows unbent.
- At this point, check your posture again. Make sure your feet are together, your thigh muscles and hip muscles are tight, and your back is straight. Keep the arms extended toward the ceiling, take a deep breath and lift your body on your toes.
- Once you have found your balance, start breathing normally. Hold the posture, and keep a smile on your face.
- To make sure your body is straight, feel that you are being pulled by the ceiling.
- In case you lose your balance, come down on your feet, take a deep breath, and repeat. Also, be very careful with your neck. At all times, make sure you are not straining it.
- Once you are tired, you can come out of the posture.
- First, come down on your feet. Then lower your arms in front of you. Now free the hand and bring them next to your thighs.
That’s how to do a mountain pose that will ease you into a restful night’s sleep
What Are the Benefits of Tadasana Yoga?
1. The tadasana elongates the spine, and therefore, enhances your posture.
2. The posture helps strengthen your knees, thigh muscles, and your ankles.
3. It tones your abs.
4. It reduces unwanted fat from your buttocks.
5. If you have sciatica pain, then you can practice this asana to help ease the condition.
6. This asana helps your spine become more agile.
7. The posture helps improve and regulate your digestive system as well as your nervous system.
8. The Tadasana Mountain Pose helps improve balance, and as a result, can alleviate anxiety and stress, thus helping you sleep.
9. It can improve your height if performed in the formative years.
10. It enhances your sleep, thus helping you wake up feeling fit and fabulous.
Precautions to Take While Doing Tadasana Mountain Pose
Before you learn how to do mountain pose, here are the precautions to take:
- Do not practice Tadasana yoga with sleeping issues such as insomnia, or sleep apnea.
- Take precautions if you have low blood pressure
- It is not recommended for pregnant women
- If you’re experiencing headache or dizziness, do not practice the tadasana yoga asana
- Even if you have none of the above conditions, do not over-strain in practicing the tadasana steps
How Wakefit Mattresses Can Help You Sleep Better?
Wakefit has become a pioneer of sleep research in the mattress business. We do extensive studies about sleep in order to provide you with the best comfort and health.