Not getting sleep at night? Well, you are not the alone! There are millions of individuals who struggle to sleep at night. In fact, a majority of the population the world over suffers from one type of sleep disorder or another. There are various factors that cause sleep disorders in people. When you are deprived of a good night’s sleep, it leads to various kinds of other problems in the body. There might be underlying psychological or physical problems which lead to sleep disturbances and other physiological and psychological ailments.
Mentioned below are 10 reasons why you might have sleep problems:
- Working out too late – If you work out in the evening, make sure that the time gap between working out and sleeping is a minimum of 4 hours. Exercising stimulates the mind and the body, and makes it warm and active. This will obviously interfere with sleep. The best time to get your exercise is in the morning so that you feel energized and active throughout the day.
- Watching TV in bed or remaining glued to the phone – Many people tend to watch the telly while in bed or stay hooked on their mobile or tablet even under the sheets. The light emitted from the LCD screens hamper with sleep patterns and can cause insomnia. If you like reading or are looking for some entertainment before you crash, switch to reading a physical book instead!
- The bed and mattress are not right – One of the main reasons why you are not getting sleep at night is that you may have a mattress that is saggy, too firm or too soft! Swap your mattress for a new one that suits your needs, and you will be sleeping like a baby in no time at all!
- Stress and anxiety – Even experts opine that stress and anxiety are sleep killers. Before hitting the sack, do not dwell on anything negative. Instead, think about something pleasant that makes you warm and fuzzy. You will be surprised how this will help you sleep better!
- The room temperature is not right – For a good night’s sleep, it is important that the temperature in your room is just right. If it is too hot and humid or way too chilly, you are bound to spend the night tossing and turning in bed, trying to get comfortable. Set your room to a temperature that is pleasant and you will doze off before you know it.
- Little high on drinks – If you have had a tall glass of milk, water or even beer, the likelihood of your waking up at night to use the washroom is high. Avoid drinking anything just before you sleep, and you can be sure you will sleep better.
- Acid reflux – Bad eating patterns might lead to not getting sleep. Eating a heavy meal that is spicy to boot, before bedtime, can cause acid reflux at night. It is recommended to finish your dinner at least 2-3 hours before you go to sleep. This helps in reducing acidity.
- Drinking too much coffee – Excessive caffeine intake hampers sleep dramatically. Medical professionals recommend not drinking coffee or any other beverage containing caffeine after sunset. Caffeine makes it difficult to fall asleep.
- Using a wrong pillow – Your pillow might be yet another reason behind your not getting sleep. Your pillow might not be of proper height or may be too old, lumpy, and saggy. If you sleep better on a soft pillow, a firm one can cause sleep disturbances. Set out to shop for a pillow that is comfortable, if you have trouble falling asleep.
- Medications – You might be on certain medications to treat the ailments you are suffering from. These pills could be wrecking your sleep. Talk to your doctor regarding this problem. They will alter the dosage or medication to help you sleep better.
Look for natural ways and things to help you sleep better. Popping sleeping pills will only bring harmful side effects over time.