Although it is not a serious medical issue, a stiff neck, can disrupt your day-to-day activities and make it difficult for you to sleep due to the pain and discomfort that comes with it. Because the tendons and nerves in the neck are delicate, many people will experience this condition at least once in their lifetime.
When you have a stiff neck, it is not only painful but also makes moving your neck difficult. The causes of stiff neck pain can include cervical injury, poor posture, strain from exercises, sleeping in an awkward position, an underlying condition like arthritis, and sometimes even stress. Fortunately, there are many simple natural remedies you can try to relieve your stiff neck and get neck pain relief by getting rid of the discomfort associated with it.
Remedies for Stiff Neck
Here is a look at some simple neck pain relief remedies to help treat the problem. The best part is that these are neck pain treatment at home:
1.Heat and Cold Application helps Stiff Neck
Cold packs relieve stiff neck and neck pain by limiting the buildup of lactic acid. Ice can numb the pain and reduce inflammation. Heat compresses, on the other hand, tighten the muscles of the cervical spine and work best after you have applied a cold compress. It also helps in increasing blood circulation to the affected cervical muscles and provides neck pain relief.
- Put a few ice cubes in a plastic bag and wrap them in a towel. You can also as such use a bag of frozen peas or a cold pack.
- Apply the pack to your neck (on either side), at the base of your head, or between your shoulders for 20 minutes.
- Next, apply a hot application, like a hot water bottle, heating pad or a hot bath or shower, for 20 minutes.
- Repeat this 3 times a day until it completely relieves your stiff neck.
- Turmeric can help Stiff Neck
If you are looking for neck pain relief that works from the inside you should use turmeric. This magical herb is a good treatment that can be done at home. It has anti-inflammatory properties that help in relieving pain and inflammation of the cervical spine and boosting the healing process from within.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder in 1 glass of milk.
- Heat it for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow it cool and drink as such.
- You can add a sweetener such as a little honey if you like.
- Drink this twice a day until the pain is completely gone.
- Homemade Analgesic pain relief for Stiff Neck
Another great natural remedy for neck pain relief that can be considered as a neck pain relief treatment at home is a homemade analgesic that you can make using simple, easy-to-obtain ingredients. You can make a balm containing menthol using oil such as beeswax, coconut oil, eucalyptus oil, and peppermint oil. This will help in soothing your skin and cervical muscles and brings neck pain relief.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of beeswax and 2 tablespoons of coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add 5 drops each of peppermint and eucalyptus oil.
- Allow the blend to cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Apply the balm to the affected area like the neck and spine muscles and gently massage for a few minutes. Massage both the front and the back side of the neck for good relief.
- Store the remaining balm in an airtight container and apply it whenever you need to.
- Stretching Exercises helps Stiff Neck
Stretching the stiff neck gently can bring neck pain relief. The best part is that it can be done at your desk or couch.
- Squeeze shoulder blades 10 times
- Roll the shoulders backwards and downwards 10 times
- Push your head back by supporting the neck with your hands or a headrest and hold for 30 seconds.
- Slowly bend your neck to the side while keeping the shoulder straight. Hold for 15 seconds. Repeat on the other side.
If you work with your computer avoid tilting your head to one side as that can cause neck pain. Also while driving, working or using your smartphone take frequent breaks as that can bring neck pain relief.
- Change Your Sleep Patterns to avoid Stiff Neck
If you want to avoid a stiff neck, you should sleep on your back or on your side – never on your stomach. When you sleep on your stomach, you can twist your head one way or the other for a long period and this can hurt your neck. You should also consider buying a pillow for neck as the wrong pillow may be the cause of your neck pain.
- If you often sleep on your stomach, make a conscious attempt to sleep on your back or side.
- Else if you are unable to sleep on your side buy a new pillow for neck pain beforehand so that it provides support to the natural curve of your cervical spine or the neck region including the muscles.
Simple home remedies can go a long way in relieving stiff neck muscles and prevent them from recurring or becoming a serious neck pain condition. These natural treatments are effective and safe, and also do not cost much. After following them, you can wake up every morning pain-free and ready for whatever the day has in store!
If a stiff neck persists or your neck muscles hurt, then it may be time to invest in a new pillow for neck pain. There are several pillows in the market that claim to be the best pillow for neck pain. But we at Wakefit have created a neck support pillow for neck pain relief that nips the problem of neck pain in the bud and brings relief by providing support to the natural curve of your neck and spine. By conforming to the natural shape of your neck, this pillow for neck pain will give you the ultimate comfort and will alleviate your pain. If the pain stays despite all the efforts, you might have to seek help from a medical practitioner as it could be something more serious like a cervical injury than a stiff neck.