Although it is not a serious medical issue, a stiff neck, can disrupt your day-to-day activities and make it difficult for you to sleep due to the pain and discomfort that comes with it. Because the tendons and nerves in the neck are delicate, many people will experience this condition at least once in their lifetime.
When you have a stiff neck, it is not only painful, but also makes moving your neck difficult. Neck pain causes can include injury, poor posture, strain from exercises, sleeping in an awkward position, an underlying condition like arthritis, and sometimes even stress. Fortunately, there are many simple natural remedies you can try to relieve your stiff neck and get rid of the neck pain and the discomfort associated with it.
Remedies for Stiff Neck
Here is a look at some simple neck pain remedies to help treat the problem and give you relief:
- Heat and Cold Application
Cold packs relieve stiff neck and neck pain by limiting the buildup of lactic acid. Ice can numb the pain and reduce inflammation. Heat compresses, on the other hand, tighten muscles and work best after you have applied a cold compress. It also helps in increasing blood circulation to the affected muscles.
- Put a few ice cubes in a plastic bag and wrap it in a towel. You can also use a bag of frozen peas or a cold pack.
- Apply the pack to your neck, at the base of your head, or between your shoulders for 20 minutes.
- Next, apply a hot application, like a hot water bottle, heating pad or a hot bath or shower, for 20 minutes.
- Repeat this 3 times a day until it completely relieves your stiff neck.
If you are looking for a neck pain treatment that works from the inside, you should use turmeric. This magical herb has anti-inflammatory properties that help in relieving pain and inflammation and boosting the healing process from within.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder in 1 glass of milk.
- Heat it for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow it cool.
- You can add a little honey if you like.
- Drink this twice a day until the pain is completely gone.
- Homemade Analgesic
Another great natural remedy for neck pain relief is a homemade analgesic that you can make using simple, easy-to-obtain ingredients. You can make a balm containing menthol with beeswax, coconut oil, eucalyptus oil, and peppermint oil. This will help in soothing your skin and muscles, and relieving neck pain.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of beeswax and 2 tablespoons of coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add 5 drops each of peppermint and eucalyptus oil.
- Allow the blend to cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Apply the balm to the affected area and gently massage for a few minutes.
- Store the remaining balm in an airtight container and apply whenever you need to.
- Change Your Sleep Patterns
If you want to avoid a stiff neck, you should sleep on your back or on your side – never on your stomach. When you sleep on your stomach, you can twist your head one way or the other for a long period and this can hurt your neck. You should also consider buying a new pillow as a wrong pillow may be the cause of your neck pain.
- If you often sleep on your stomach, make a conscious attempt to sleep on your back or side.
- Buy a new pillow that provides support to the natural curve of your neck.
Simple home remedies can go a long way in relieving a stiff neck and prevent it from recurring. These natural treatments are effective and safe, and also do not cost much. After following them, you can wake up every morning pain-free and ready for whatever the day has in store!