Those who fall asleep easily, but wake up again and again throughout the night experience something known as fragmented sleep. Today, we will be discussing whether such poor sleep is dangerous and when is the best time to wake up.
What is Fragmented Sleep?
If you are waking up several times throughout the night and experience disturbed sleep, then you are having fragmented sleep. Please do not confuse it with the arousals that normally occur during sleep. When we transition through the various sleep cycles, we tend to have microarousals that are naturally occurring. However, what we are discussing here is interrupted sleep which is likely to further cause daytime sleepiness and fatigue.
If you recall waking up several times through the night, then that means you have had a fragmented or interrupted sleep. Sometimes, it might even be hard to go back to sleep after an interruption, which contributes the most to daytime sleepiness and exhaustion. It is essential to find the root reasons for sleeplessness and decide on the best time to wake up.
Though most people are aware of insomnia that occurs when people find it difficult to fall asleep, not many people are aware of sleep-maintenance insomnia that occurs when you have fragmented sleep. You need to find the reasons for sleeplessness. When you cannot fall asleep after several arousals during the night, you are struggling with sleep-maintenance insomnia that can be very bad for your health unless you find the underlying reasons for sleeplessness.
Why Is Fragmented Sleep Dangerous?
There are several negative effects of fragmented sleep, the most important one being sleep deprivation. This further causes daytime sleepiness, mood swings, lower vigilance, a decrease in psychomotor performance, etc. A decline in attention span is another common effect of fragmented sleep, again caused by sleep deprivation. Fragmented sleep is often a sign of insomnia. There are several types of insomnia. Once the doctor finds the reasons for sleeplessness they can come up with an insomnia treatment plan to put a stop to interrupted sleep.Fragmented Sleep dangerous
According to a recent sleep study, even one night of interrupted sleep can lower one’s levels of happiness by almost one-third.
Causes of Fragmented Sleep
Different sleep disorders are seen to be the cause behind fragmented sleep. The most common of these is sleep apnea. The other disorder that is a usual suspect behind interrupted sleep is the Periodic Limb Movement. There are several other reasons for sleeplessness as well. You need to keep a close watch on your routine and daily life to find out what is causing your interrupted sleep at night. All types of insomnia also lead to fragmented sleep dangerous.
Fragmented Sleep Treatment
Some of the preventive measures you can take to deal with an acute condition of fragmented sleep include bringing your circadian rhythm back to normal. To do that, you will need to come up with a good sleep schedule and stick to it to avoid reasons for sleeplessness. It will be necessary for you to wake up and sleep at the same time every day so that your body clock resets to normal. You also need to look at the different types of insomnia that may be causing fragmented sleep. In such cases, insomnia treatment can come in handy to prevent interrupted sleep through the night.
Another preventive measure is to stop using blue light-emitting devices at least an hour before bed. The blue light tricks our brain into thinking that it is still daytime. As a result, it does not release melatonin in adequate amounts, and so you remain alert and awake for longer.
Did you know that the average adult needs seven to eight hours of sleep each night? When this sleep is interrupted, it can reduce the quality of their life and also lead to several health problems. Rather than thinking about the best time to wake up¸ you need to pay more attention to your bedtime routine. Sticking to a routine every night, helps your body counter different types of insomnia.
Habits To Prevent Fragmented Sleep
The core reason for dangerous fragmented sleep is bad habits. Here are a couple of healthy habits used for insomnia treatment. It also keeps dangerous fragmented sleep at bay:
- The best time to wake up is early morning. Stick to the same wake-up time every morning. This will help your body get used to your routine Follow the same habit when it comes to your bedtime. Stick to the same time every night till your body gets used to it. This is included in every insomnia treatment plan.
- Avoid any caffeinated beverages, alcohol, or cigarettes before bedtime. They will prevent you from falling asleep leading to dangerous fragmented sleep through the night.
- Avoid heavy dinners at night. When you eat too much at night, you will tend to feel uncomfortable, making it one of the reasons for sleeplessness.
- Also, stay away from any electronic devices during bedtime. Many people have the habit of using their mobile phone or laptop late into the night. This is one of the leading reasons for sleeplessness, resulting in dangerous fragmented sleep.
- As soon as you get each morning, make sure you get a healthy dose of some sunlight. This helps you overcome any sleepiness and also enhances your mood for the rest of the day. As nighttime approaches, you will find it easier to fall asleep faster. Studies have shown that people with little or no exposure to sunlight often experience dangerous fragmented sleep. Low sunlight exposure is another one of the many reasons for sleeplessness.
- Exercise every day for at least thirty minutes. Sedentary lifestyles are another leading reason for sleeplessness. This is recommended as a part of every insomnia treatment plan.
- Invest in blackout curtains to put a stop to light streaming into our bedroom from the street.
- Keep your bedroom décor simple and comfortable. As a part of the insomnia treatment, doctors recommend removing anything from your bedroom that will cause you to get stimulated and stay awake.
- Determine the best time to wake up based on when you go to sleep each night. An average adult needs around seven to eight hours of uninterrupted sleep each night.
- Try sleeping alone if your partner tends to grind their teeth or snore during the night. Sounds caused by partners are one of the reasons for sleeplessness.
At the end of the day, you need to find a way to put a stop to dangerous fragmented sleep. It may be caused by one of the different types of insomnia. If that is the case, you will need to consult with a doctor and come up with an insomnia treatment plan that works for you.
Creating a dark, cool, and uncluttered sleep space is another necessary step you need to take to prevent fragmented sleep. An important investment for such a space is a comfortable and supportive mattress. Such a mattress will adapt to your body shape and distribute your bodyweight uniformly so that you get the sleep of your dreams. The mattress will also allow you to sleep cool because of the cooling technology incorporated into its design. To find such a mattress, visit here.